Monday, November 14, 2005

Transforming the revolution ?

This Independent article about transexuals in Iran. The fatwa issued in 1983 by Ayyatollah Khomeini radically changed the situation and the stigmatization of the transexuals, while this single fatwa, probably one of the most liberal fatwas ever written, perhaps togheter with a few of Grand Ayyatolah Sistanis fatwas concerning sex within the marriage.

A soundbite : Milad says "I did not want to have to wear a chador. Now I can pray in boxer shorts if I feel like it, and I never miss prayers,". But perhaps my favourite is Amin, who now happens to be a revolutinary guardist, the ultimate protectors of the revolution and it´s values. The story behind the issuing of the historic Ayyatolah Khomeini fatwa was also quite interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home